I am a meat, potatoes, and veggies kind of girl! And I love breads and carbohydrates! Did I mention I have a sweet tooth? Well, these things are good in moderation, but too much of a good thing is sometimes bad for our health, right? Several months ago, I set out on a quest to eat fewer carbohydrates and sweets. As a result, I lost the rest of my baby weight, my husband lost weight, and overall we feel better. Now I’m gaining that weight back due to a second baby on the way and all the holiday eating! Nevertheless, here is one of the recipes that I have learned to love, and this is what makes it zippy… there’s absolutely no pasta in this dish! I do love pasta, but amazingly, it is not missed in this recipe! And it takes a lot for me to admit that because like I said, I love carbs!!!
Zippy Zoodles Zucchini!!!
1 lb. shredded chicken or extra lean ground beef
24 oz. low-fat cottage cheese
1 medium onion
3 medium tomatoes (peeled)
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
optional: parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake chicken or brown and rinse extra lean ground beef.
- Use a food chopper to chop onion.
- Add onions and cottage cheese to meat.
- Cut zucchini in long slices.
- Spray a 9×13 glass dish with healthy cooking oil.
- Spread 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce in bottom of glass dish.
- Add half the zucchini and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Add the meat mixture and top with remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Place remaining zucchini on top and cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for one-and-a-half hours.
- Before serving, top with fresh tomatoes and parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
*Inspired by and linked to with permission: http://melaniemitro.blogspot.com/2013/07/clean-eating-zucchini-lasagna-recipe.html